False Princess by Eilis O'Neal

Feb 4, 2012 /
The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal (♥♥♥♥)

I finished this book yesterday and my memory is already a bit fuzzy with it. I finished this book in two short bursts and it was a blast to read.

  • This book takes loads of tropes about young adult fantasy fiction and turns them on their head. The title gives away the first one of course, which is that our protagonist is not a poor orphan who discovers she is a princess, but rather a princess who discovers she is a poor orphan raised to die in place of the true princess.

  • This book, is about growing up. There is drama and intrigue but it isn't until the climax of the story that anything felt particularly intense. However it was a GREAT climax. One of the best I've seen of its type. And there was an honesty about the book. I love how the protagonist is a mature character not in that she saves the day and carries all burdens but because she faces the possibility of her own ego without hiding from it.

  • The romance side of things is sweet but desperately predictable. I was not particularly taken with our male protagonist. It is a funny line because I get the impression the romance is so weak because the book is meant not to rest on this relationship, but the political and personal growth aspects of the plot. It is a balance that seems shaky now, because of how frequent mention of their relationship is found, but as I was reading I found it a pleasant emersion.

  • Overall, I would call this book refreshing! :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2010 Once Upon a Reading, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger