The Goblin Books by Hilari Bell

Apr 4, 2012 /

The Goblin Wood, The Goblin Gate, and The Goblin War by Hilari Bell (♥♥♥♥)

It is very rare that I am able to finish reading a book independently while school is in session, but this round I managed not only a book but a trilogy.

  • The protagonist of the first book, a hedgewitch named Makenna is my ideal heroine: she is strong and confident without being full of sass and bluster, she has suffered but does not let that bar her path, and she is human with faults as real as anyone's.

  • There are two other protagonists that share the stage of the trilogy with Makenna: Tobin and his brother Jeriah. They are also worthy of their place as POV characters.

  • The end of the first book is slightly disheartening as it falls on fantasy elements to avoid realistic solutions to a morally ambiguous problem, but while reading I found myself blinded to reality for the most part and such a criticism did not occur to me until after I finished reading.

  • This book series is about 40% political intrigue : 30% action/adventure : 20% character development : 10% romance. It was a lovely balance.

  • All in all, just a loverly little gem of a series that I had never heard of before with a fabulous driving plot that doesn't rest too heavily on any of its characters or romance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2010 Once Upon a Reading, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger