The Princess Curse by Merrie Haskell

Nov 26, 2011 /
The Princess Curse by Merrie Haskell (♥♥♥♥½)

I've been sort of eyeing this book half-heartedly for about a month. It was a middle grade book, and while I definitely find them enjoyable, I usually enjoy the extra kick of romance more often found in young adult books. It was a story about a girl who was trying to break a curse on a princess (or two) and that was all I knew. So, I didn't want to buy, but when I was sifting around at my local library I saw it on a display shelf and couldn't resist.
  • First off, the primary reason I couldn't resist? LOVE this cover. This is how it's done. I've never quite understood the surge in photographic covers lately and the huge deviance away from traditional artwork styles.

  • This book is a quick read. I started at 1:30 p.m. today and finished about twenty minutes ago, less than 6 hours.

  • As expected, there is far less romance than I would ordinarily find in a young adult novel of the same topic. However, this sat well with me, considering our heroine is only 13 years old. Plus it allowed for getting to know her as more than "this is who she loves and how she feels when she is in love." Reveka's heartbreak when she discovers her dreams of having a herbary may never come true screamed out to me in a way another story might when someone realizes they may never be with the one they love. In many ways I liked this better.

  • Never would have guessed this was the author's first novel. (Although I rarely would guess such a thing. Good editors must be magic, I swear!)

  • I couldn't even guess who Reveka's love interest was right up until the last chapter or so. Half the time I wondered if there was none. This made it exciting, adding a bit of mystery (for me only, of course!) into the mix. I also loved how genuine the romance was when it did appear. I feel like real people don't just toss head over heels with each other, particularly in a lifelong way at 13 years old. Everything was so lovely and developed in a very natural fashion. I only wish we could see it bloom in a sequel!

  • LOVE the Hades and Persephone aspect! So much! This was one of my favorite myths when I was a little girl; I even played Hades in a school puppet show! All of the fairy-tale elements are elegantly woven together in a story that is entirely its own! It is fantastic!

  • I really liked Reveka's relationship with her father in a strange way. It was not a perfect relationship, and it was slightly strange, as it should be given they did not know each other for such a long time. When Reveka's father comes to hug her after Didina is hurt, I could just feel all the things he wanted to say but couldn't.

  • My one pausing thought, as it may be, is that Reveka, like many protagonists in middle grade and young adult fiction, is unrealistically mature for her age. Perhaps not in her thoughts or desires, but more so in her manner of speaking and acting. The argument has been put forth that there are children who are very mature for their ages and there are, but not in the numbers that fiction would imply, and not to the degree that fiction would imply. Part of me tried to absolve myself of these thoughts by thinking on the fact that during the time period when this story is set, children did have to grow up faster. Still, it is a difficult score to settle in my heart.

  • My one last qualm; Dragos has such an interesting and exciting implied backstory, and the mystery behind the Nymph as well, but we never truly get to know everything! I do hope a sequel is planned!

  • P.S. Will definitely be buying a copy for my (new!) kindle!

  • Here's some awesome Hades and Persephone pictures from DeviantArt to fuel your fun: one and two.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2010 Once Upon a Reading, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger