Between the Sky and Sea by Jaclyn Dolamore

Nov 25, 2011 /
Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore (♥♥♥)

If it isn't already obvious, I'm a huge lover of fairy tale retellings, as such I frequently find myself browsing tags on Goodreads: fairy tale retellings, fairy tales, etc. That's how I found out about this book. After reading A Curse as Dark as Gold, I was looking for a book that more easily fit within my comfort zone: I was looking for some homey Earl Grey after having some exotic Moroccan Mint. I wanted something familiar but brewed to perfection to warm me after my explorations. I'm not sure if this is making any sense, but you'll be happy to know Between the Sea and Sky satisfied all my desires and then some.
  • This story is walking, smashing house of cliché, but I never understood why people always mark that as a bad thing. I firmly believe that if cliché elements are well-executed they can be enjoyable. Plus, as a lover of fairy-tales it's pretty clear that I'm no great enemy of a many-used plot lines/story elements.

  • I personally love the childhood-friends turned lovers story arc. The hint of Romeo and Juliet elements is also appreciated. One of my favorite quotes from the film Ever After is the classic "A bird may love a fish, signore, but where will they live?" and clearly this story embodies this quote. Yes, it is silly, but who cares!

  • Families: I love the family relationships in this book. I love how supportive and real Esmerine's family was, and I loved that even though Alander does not have a perfect relationship with his father it is not overdramatized. I also love that his step mum was nice but not in a silly forced way.

  • I was not a fan of the sort of meandering plot line. This story felt like it deserved more in that regard. I was also troubled by the about face in Doria's character: her marriage seemed so out of place, but then, Esmerine also thinks it is out of place...

  • Why do the sirens keep picking new sirens among girls who are fascinated by land? Why is that a required element? It would be so much more sensible to pick a siren among a lot that hates the land, and thus they will never risk having their belt stolen. I mean, I guess it's magic, so what do I know.

  • This story is more about the interactions between Alander and Esmerine than anything else, and I will say, if that is the central crutch of the story, it is not as fine as it could be. Nonetheless, as I was reading I had no trouble emerging myself with them and their interactions. Though I will say that I had more gut emotions about Randall and Charlotte in A Curse Dark as Gold, which is decidedly not a romance, than Alander and Esmerine.

  • If you are into that sort of thing, there is a breakdown of the cover here.

  • This book is difficult because while I can find fault with it in hindsight, while I was reading I had no trouble suspending my disbelief and jumping in headfirst, loving every moment of it. I would not hesitate to recommend this to a friend who is not too picky, and just wants to forget the world for a while.

  • If could describe this book in one word, I would describe it as FUN. Speaking of fun, be sure to check on the author's prequel comics on her blog.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2010 Once Upon a Reading, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger