The Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. Dunkle

Jul 1, 2012 /
The Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. Dunkle (♥♥♥♥½)

I've been trying to start this book for a long time. Months. I kept picking it up, getting through a page or two, and then putting it back down. Finally, around 6:00 a.m. this morning, I really got going with this one.
  • This book is set during the 1800s, vaguely the same setting as A Curse as Dark as Gold. I'm starting to warm up to this sort of a setting. I don't see it very often in young adult fantasy fiction, but when I do, the work is always top notch.

  • The story is split into two phases: the first being when Kate attempts to evade the Goblin King, the second being when she attempts to rescue him. The transition from phase one to phase two is very pleasant. One never feels that Kate loses her initial vitality and defiance. She never falls into Marak's arms out of no where.

  • Beauty and the Beast themes have a big role to play here but what I really like is that Marak never pulls away from his original character. He doesn't transform into a prince. His appearance never softens in Kate's eyes. He is what he is.

  • There are two more books in this series and I'm really excited to see where things go. I'm guessing that POV will change and we will move to Kate's sister's perspective in the second book, possibly concluding with an heir's perspective in the third?

  • I'm not being too articulate here, but overall, it's a lovely, adventurous, well-written story likely to engage many readers. There is some violence though, so I might not recommend this too enthusiastically to middle grade readers, but I wouldn't discourage them either.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2010 Once Upon a Reading, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger